Traveling The World

One of the unique characteristics of Camp Parsons are the visitors we have had at camp through the years.  From Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of scouting through numerous noted citizens that make up the history of the Pacific Northwest.  Governors, Senators, academic leaders, business leaders and many more have spent some time on Jackson Cove these past 93 seasons.  We are a chapter in L. Ron Hubbard's autobiography as he spent a couple of summers at Camp Parsons, which raises an eyebrow or two when we mention that at during the history tours.  Even Robert Gates, the former Secretary of Defense visited us in the late 90's.  I had mentioned several months ago that we had hosted the Condit Campout at Camp Parsons and we had a special guest with us at that time, Alvin Townley.  Alvin is an author who has written Legacy of Honor as well as The Spirit of Adventure and Fly Navy.  Alvin was a successful business man in Atlanta, Georgia working for Arthur Anderson when he took time off and went around the US interviewing notable public figures who were Eagle Scouts and asking them how scouting affected their lives.  Since that time he has left his job for full time writing, speaking and traveling.  He has been to Seattle on several occasions, the one I remember was when he spoke at the annual Eagle Scout recognition dinner, but he was invited back to participate in the Condit Campout and was assigned to my patrol this past fall.  The pictures to your left show our motley crew of myself, Bryan Zemp, Brad Tilden (President of Alaska Airlines) and Alvin.  The picture below that is one of the tasks we had to complete.....this was when we were in first place in the morning.  If you go back to the October blogs, you can read about our disappointing performance, but we had a great time competing together.

I received a note from Alvin the other day telling me about his trip to the Sudan and his experiences there as well as in Kenya where he visited Lord Baden-Powell's grave site.  I am  not sure where he is off to next, but I am sure it will be interesting.

I must admit that I am somewhat jealous of his position.  Granted, it was not an easy choice to make but it was something he wanted to do and he took a heck of a risk doing it.  He left a very successful job, traveled the US on his own dime and probably had to fight tooth and nail to get the interviews with the folks that he did (take a look at the book and you will see who I am talking about) for something that may never have been successful financially (although I am sure it would have been personally for him).  He told me in the past that it was something he felt compelled to do and now, he has become good at telling the story.  Although I doubt I could ever give up my profession, I too have a desire to share my experiences and observations of scouting, gleamed mainly from years of summer camping, to others.  Unfortunately I do not share Alvin's ability to focus on completing this particular task as it has always been second to my work or my first line interests, whether it be with camp, friends or sporting events.  Something needs to be sacrificed for me to put my energies into finishing a book that I begun two decades ago with nothing more than just ruminations.  Well, they still are ruminations......and I must admit, writing this blog certainly has me focused on key elements of my thoughts.

Perhaps I need to take a page from Alvin's biography (not yet written) and focus on what is important to me instead of just living each day as it comes.  Then again, I worry too much about what the future might hold and whether I am prepared to meet it.  I guess if you worry too much you die.....of course, even if you don't worry you die anyway......so why worry?  Maybe I will write that book.